View Single Post
      02-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #90
tjm129
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: VO 1M(382/740)

So I finally got around to doing this today on my 1M at about 2,000 miles. I had been waiting on a 14mm hex socket that I ordered from Snap-on which came this week, and realized that I only need the 8mm for the trans (which I already had).

I used the funnel with nylon tubing / gravity method and it worked like a charm, the one other thing I did was use a pair of needle nose vise grips to crimp off the tubing as I was filling the funnel (toward the end) so that I could stop the flow of oil once the trans was full, worked like a charm, and no mess at all, once full I emptied out the remainder of the oil in the funnel/tubing into the first, now empty, oil quart.

I got about 1.1 L out of my trans. and it took almost exactly 1.25L to fill. I could not find specs for what I should torque the trans drain plug and fill plug to so i just torqued them to 35 lb/ft, I will keep an eye on it and if I come across the correct spec from say a dackelone post then I will adjust.

The old oil did not look to dirty or smell very different from the new oil that I put in it, but was dirty enough that I am glad I changed it.

As for oil I used Porsche PDK oil that I bought from flzrider, he had some extra and was the same price as buying new and at the time the BMW stuff seemed hard to come by, so we shall see.

Also while I had the car up, and the trans shield off I noticed a small leak from the CDV valve. I probably should have just modded it while I was under there, I will keep an eye on it, and if it continues to leak will take care of it. Any one else have a leak here?

TJ
Appreciate 0