01-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #35
MrBlonde
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, M Coupe, 1299

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian@vishnu View Post
That is certainly a great way to go. Inevitably you lose money when you mod a car to be a race car and then sell it, so you could probably pick up a nice car that someone else modded for $20k.

Only problem with that approach is you inherit any issues on the car. This may include dodgy built engines, DIY work that may fail in safety areas such as Brakes/suspension etc. I prefer to know that I can trust the person turning the spanner on many things (which is me on my car!!). I have also seen many supposedly good engines/gearboxes let go ending in a costly repair.

I recently bought a kart as I am going out karting with my son these days. Got a cheap kart off ebay that was a clean kart in good condition. Engine let go on second outing. $500 repair later and I am at the same price I could have gotten a kart from a dealer with some backup.

You win some you lose some.... but it is certainly the most economical way to get a race car if you win!!
Good points Adrian.

Check out the 1Addicts Drag Racing Standings and Drag Racing 101.
Appreciate 0