Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian///M
Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
I spoke to Taleb tyres here in Sydney and they were very helpful. I was quoted $1200 fitted and balanced for NT01s in 235/40/18 and 275/35/18. I asked him how they were on the street and he said they were fine but due to the soft R compound would wear faster and was unable to say roughly how many kms they would last. He did mention that they were definitely street legal. Of course he could be wrong, but then again he could be right. He recommend NT05s if I was going to mainly be street driving the tyres due to their harder compound. For me though, it's either NT01s or R-S3s and I'm happy to be a guinea pig and try some NT01s for street/track.
NT01's on street would be unsafe IMO, rather go NT05's which is a street/track combo. RS3's are comparable to NT05's, but still the NT05 is more of a slick.

Today in the wet I did miss my PSS as wet traction is a problem on RS3's
You just have to be sensible. In the dry I'm sure it's perfectly fine so that's no issue that needs discussing. Of course you can't guarantee that whenever you take the car out it's not going to rain but you can try to avoid those situations or at least drive sensibly when it does.

The other day it rained on me whilst I was driving to the city. It was very slippery and I was completely losing rear wheel traction even with moderate partial throttle at 40kph in 3rd gear. I put the Procede onto the map 0, the stock bypass mode and that helped significantly. In the wet, I don't drive as fast, I leave larger gaps when braking, I take corners quite slowly, I accelerate less. I don't really drive that fast on the street normally let alone in the wet so I'm pretty happy to take it easy when it's wet.

As long as one drives within the limits of their skills and limits of their equipment, I don't think it matters what tyres you have on your car.

Now of course if I were to lend my car to someone who doesn't know it as well, that would be a no no. But no one really drives my car except me and if they are, I'm usually in the passenger seat and I'm sure as hell not letting that happen in the wet now, let alone with NT01s.