09-04-2010, 12:01 AM   #686
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
This is why I wonder, how come we don't see more variable vaned turbos? They have been in use in diesel engines and Porsche uses them in the 997 Turbo.
I think the Direct injection gasoline engines are only in their infantcy when compared to a diesel engine. I fully expect to see high pressure systems put to use at some point, depending how much it will actually cost to produce this. But i wouldn't be suprised to see injection pressure jump up to a few thousand PSI to get better atomization and efficiency.

to get what i'm on about, Look at the HIUE systems (or similar) used on transport trucks today. Last i checked (a few years back) they were injecting deisel into the cylindars at 22,000 PSI just to get their emissions low and power high. So seeing a car with 10,000 wouldn't suprise me one day in the future.

it would be neat to see a dual plenum turbo (maybe even quad) used for more efficiency as well, help drop the spool times a tiny bit. I think it would work well with a Variable Vane turbo, though might not be that necessary since cars rev a lot higher pushing enough air that it wouldn't really matter.

If you want to see the future of our beloved gasoline, watch the technological developments in transport truck engines. pretty amaizing stuff.

and as stated by others, the more units of something that are made, the more the price can drop. The first fully carbon fibre car was 1000000$ now you can get many different car designs that are stronger and more advanced for a 1/4 of that price. it only took 20 years
Appreciate 0