View Single Post
      05-07-2012, 10:59 PM   #1
Light_Em_Up
Canada
Rep
Drives: 128is

Clutch Delay Valve Delete - My Experience

First, I have to say that I've had no complaints with the clutch or trans in my 128 except perhaps the occasional extra effort required to engage 2nd & sometimes 3rd. This is coming from many years of driving only standards with engine sizes from 1.6 - 5.7 litres.

Last week I took the 128 in to my dealer for install of the BMW Performance Suspension (see separate post) and I asked the service manager if he knew anything about clutch delay valves, if he could remove it, would it effect the warranty, and what would be the effect. His answers were; Yes, Yes, No, more sensitivity in the engagement. Of course I told him to do it.

After two days of driving w/o CDV the results are .........
0 Clutch engagement went from being OK to being RIGHT
0 Entrance into all gears is smoother
0 Pulling off those fast short low RPM shifts is now a breeze
0 Friction point is more predictable

I'm a convert. Whether or not one thinks that they need this mod the lessened wear on the gearbox synchros from the decreased force required to enter gears sometimes, alone I would think is justification.

Jack