View Single Post
      02-11-2011, 12:07 PM   #13
Amalfitano
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i STEP, Future //M2012

Garage List
2009 135i  [0.00]
I'm sure the answer is NO!, but i'm curious if the max boost doesn't change but instead simply doesn't taper off towards the redline as much would be allowed...

That said, if all you end up getting out of the ECU is better throttle response, i'm not sure it's worth the 1k, but when every hundreth counts, it would be an addition. I got pretty good at dealing with the throttle by wire, but our cars don't allow us to left foot brake effectively, so the throttle software upgrade might be needed with an LSD.

If you have a steptronic, the LSD is bolt up. Should be able to do a quaife install for less than your estimate, but with the final drive replacement needed for the manuals, i'm not even sure that install is STU legal. I think so, but that final drive cannot change i'm pretty sure.

Also, while you're down there, might as well swap out the subframe bushings for Motorsport or at least M3 bushings, swap out the rear sway for something a bit stiffer since that needs the subframe dropped to do. I think the other bushings all around shouldn't be too bad (500 or so), but i know the subframe ones go for a LOT.

Can't do both the control arms and camber plates, so the front tire is a fresh experiment. The Berk build did 265 RS3's up front with the APEX ARC-8 18x9's, then 285's in back with 18x9.5s i believe, but i don't recall if that included M3 control arms for the fit. It definitely had a fender roll and they described pulling off a tab in there too.

The RS3 might be the tire, but again that's probably up in the air. They by reputation need to build some heat (which our cars do swimingly), but are they for sure better than the Star Spec or AD08 for our particular cars? Berk proved they are great for Street Tire Road Courses, but with Autocross (especially in CHI/MKE where at least a third of our season is pretty cold), it's still up in the air.

BUT, RS3 and ARC-8's would be about 2k-2.4k, so not that bad. If the 265 doesn't fit though, it's 255 Star Specs or AD08's. I guess the RE-11 might be good for the 1 but i don't see too much praise for them.

E46 M3 guys are probably a good source for info. Go from the quaife to an OS Gilken for no compromise LSD work. I'd probably go square instead of going up to 285's in back. Ground Control has a DA kit with camber plates up front and rear control arm replacements in back that i think are perfectly STU Legal for about 2.2k, or go with AST 4100's or maybe TC Kline's DA.

Spring Rates are up in the air. TC Kline recommend's 350 front with 700 rear with the upgraded bushings, but i couldn't tell if that was truly 135 specific or more ballpark. I think a 2.2 versus 2.5 model would net a higher front spring rate, but I've heard Bob Tunnell and TC Kline preach that Bimmers don't need as much spring up front as you'd think, but who knows if that truly applies to the 1 or if that's much more their E36 M3 experience.

Either way, it would be fun if I had the funds. It's just a helluva experiment. The AST's would be resell-able, springs if not overworked, Probably the LSD if you didn't have to ship your core back. Wheels in decent shape... But obviously a straight up STU built 1 wouldn't get much return on investment when sold. But then again it could just become a race it till it drops car and not worry about selling it... Would be great to get rid of the sunroof, put a widebody kit on it, run some boost (sounds like a 1m, whoops).

Or of course, stick with D-Stock for a while, wait for some 1m's to become used, see how affordable they are (probably not very for awhile), and maybe in 3-4 years get in one.
Appreciate 0