View Single Post
      03-29-2008, 10:31 PM   #89
edge350
Junior Cheeseburger
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadburn View Post
It's a fairly crappy review, working too hard to be cute, full of references to "mine's smaller than yours" at the stoplight, etc. Nitpicky on price & other things.
I have to agree with roadburn's description. Here's a link to the article:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/..._test/(page)/1

I don't understand how you could write this paragraph:

Words you almost never hear at the stoplight: “Hey, mine is smaller than yours!” The 135i may have to endure some size snobbery, but only until the green light. The last E46 M3 we tested [September 2005] hit 60 mph in 4.8 seconds. The 135i does it in 4.7. That $48,995 M3 chewed through the quarter-mile in 13.3 seconds at 108 mph. This 135i does it in 13.3 seconds at 106 mph, also about identical to the M3’s then-competitors, the Audi RS 4 and Mercedes-Benz C55 AMG.

Then proceed to complain about this:

Even so, the 135i may struggle at its price. Presented with the numbers, most buyers, we expect, will step up to a 3-series, perhaps by trading away the turbo engine and associated extras. A mere $400 separates the base 135i from the slightly dearer 328i coupe with its gorgeous bod. The 135i may drive with the grace of larger cars, but to pass up that deal, you’ll have to be one of the few who don’t fear downsizing.

Doesn't he answer his own question? It comes down to performance! Look at the cars you're comparing the 135i to in the first paragraph!
It's sloppy for a car magazine to fixate on PRICE when the driving experience between 135i and a 328i is SO completely different.
If they really wanted to provide a thoughtful analysis, they would compare the dynamics between the 135i and 335i.

Crimson Red/Terra 135i, delivered 4/19/08, traded in 9/8/08. Recovering addict, still a fan.
Appreciate 0