01-22-2009, 09:46 PM   #15
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
NO FWD . And yes Huckfeldt knows exactly where BMW want to take the design direction of the next generation 1er , and that is to be a complete stand out car in the compact class.

Right now BMW like other manufacturers are preparing for the cars that will arise when the economy picks up again , and the 1er is one of these cars with the aim to be a very unconventional choice in the compact segment.
With the 1er and the clamour for smaller luxury cars BMW are working on , and or well on the way of conceiving a strategy of progressing tried and tested segments The Progressive Activity Sedan is one such project from this strategy that will enter for the 1er programme.

The Z2 concept features a very dramatic about-turn from the new Z4 although the short rear deck and long hood remains the front end is entirely different - think back to the mille miglia concept car and indeed Huckfeldts current 1er Coupe impression although the grille will be wide and not upright like the concept . The headlights sit at the bonnet edge surrounded by a wide upside down kidney grille The rear is less of a resemblance to the new Z4 and the typical BMW look with a more rounded rear end. BMW were always adament that the Z family would not be one model , different size. The Z2 will also inherit a folding soft top originally developed for the Z4 made to be more compact and accomodating than the previous Z4. This will give the Z2 reasonable cargo space.

After the initial introduction in the next generation of M5 , BMW will eventually develop KERS to filter down to it's general road car product line as a next phase in the continuance of Efficient Dynamics.
The Z2 is old news. The chances of its reality are slim to none given the state of the economy. The illustrations/renderings were based off of nothing.

Huckfeldt is amazing, I'll give him that, but there are and have been times where he's wrong. I'm positive this is one.
Appreciate 0