View Single Post
      08-01-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Ultra High Performance All Season

I will need new tires reasonably soon for my 128i convertible with sport package. I am thinking of getting a Ultra High Performance All Season instead of a Maximum Performance Summer tire. Something like a Continental Extreme Contact DWS instead of a Hankook Ventus V12 - for instance. The cost is a little higher for the Continental but the wear rating is 540 versus 280 for the Hankook. Specifics are different for other tires of both types but the same trend exists, ultra performance all season have higher wear ratings.

Now my question. How much cornering will I be giving up? I only do an occasional autocross and it is for fun, I have no danger of winning. But I would not like it if my cornering performance was noticably worse. I don't really drive the bimmer in bad weather but I see it as a slight advantage to have it capable just in case my SUV was out of service or something.

Comments?

Jim