View Single Post
      10-04-2012, 10:33 AM   #30
Dinosaurius
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E88 135iS

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdriver View Post
USAA is an insurance/financial services company that caters to the military and their families. One service they offer is a car buying service and they have some affiliation with Truecar pricing. One has to be a member of USAA to use the service and not everyone is eligible.
When I said "USAA", it was specifically about the discount that I was referring to. I'm familiar with USAA. I'm a member and have accounts and insurance through them. When buying a car, I forget to take advantage of their services and I was looking for details on that.

From their website, it seems like they provide a great starting price but not necessarily a set discount off that's applicable, in the traditional sense, like the CCA or Loyalty or Olympic discounts that can be applied to lower an already negotiated starting price. Is that accurate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb135is View Post
How much below invoice is totally individual to the dealer. Privately owned dealerships have a holdback that they take as profit IN the invoice price, then they mark up 7% from there to get MSRP. Conglomerate dealerships do it this way, too, but they are much more likely to have the freedom to dip into the holdback, thus, they usually deal at prices below invoice.

For whatever reason, internet departments at dealerships seem to have the freedom to give ridiculous prices based on car buying services (USAA, ZAG, Truecar). That's the price I'm getting for my 135is, which ends up being about 2 grand under invoice.

If your dealership has this "podium" style of dealing where the sales guy has to walk up to the manager every time he needs to make a decision, then they're probably not going to give you the best price. Just my experience, though not scientific.
Wow, $2K below invoice. Thanks that's the kind of hard number I'm looking for.
I'm used to dealing exclusively with the internet sales department specifically for the reasons you gave but I never knew you could go that low.