2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Stig,

I'm not sure. This is the Porsche CCA rule:

Open Cars: Any make of car delivered with factory installed roll over protection meets the minimum standards for PCA DE events. In these cars the soft-top must be in the up position or the hard top installed. .

If a car does not have factory installed roll over protection, a roll bar or roll cage must be installed, which meets the "broomstick" rule (the driver's helmeted head is below a bar placed on top of the roll bar and windshield). Design, installation and materials of roll bars or cages and their installation must meet PCA Club Racing specifications, contained in Appendix A-Roll Cage Specifications of the PCA Club Racing Rules. All targa tops must be installed unless there is addition roll over protection. All sunroofs must be in the closed position. The windshield alone is not considered to be factory roll over protection.

My BMW has "pop up" protection in the rear plus a reinforced windshield frame. They specifically say the windshield is not enough. If they credit the pop up as "factory installed rollover protection" then they might let me do it. I know they let boxers and 911 convertibles but I'm not sure they let 128i convertibles. Do you know of examples where this has been done.

I went ahead and signed up at "clubregistration.net" and looked at a DE in Atlanta next week. I don't think I can make that but it appears you do not have to be a Porsche club member (just costs $50 more) and they clearly allow for other make vehicles. Still not sure they will consider the BMW rollover protection adequate - but at least they allow some already so they are more open than BMW CCA. If it works like BMW, it would be up to the instructor to decide in the end - that creates a risk I could get all signed up and show up and still not be allowed.
PCA leaves it up to the region.

My chapter allows e46 m3 verts to run, which have the same pop out roll bar solution as the 1 series vert.

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0