09-02-2010, 04:04 AM   #62
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan135 View Post
Actually it is possible but not in a traditional way. I do not think this is what they are doing as it is pretty different from how the have used these technologies so far.

What you can do is use exhaust manifolds like is on the N54. They have cylinders 1-3 into one manifold and cylinders 4-6 in another. If you look at the firing order you get good exhaust gas pulse integration. The pulses do not interfere.

You would then use 1 twinscroll turbo on each manifold. You would use only one of the scrolls at low rpm and bring the other scroll in at higher rpm in a sequential maner. The scrolls can even have different AR ratios. My 1987 Rx-7 twin turbo used a set up like this.

This is a good idea as you can get great low speed rpm response with out loosing the top end. I thought this might be what they were doing for the 1M and next M3.

Maybe they are using this or whatever turbo setup is coming on the next M3 on an N54? That would be a "hybrid" as Scott mentioned of the two engines and would eliminate the N55 valvetronic problems? Hmmmm
Should have read all post before I reply, there doesn't seem to be any sequential twinscroll setup in the BMW lineup so I would imagine that they won't do that. Although the people who makes their turob does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HERR FSTIR View Post
Doubtful when BMW is too cheap to even use a CF roof. We'll be lucky if the 1M stays at 3400 lbs and doesn't gain another 50-100 lbs.

Best case scenario is a 3300 lb car with 360 hp which yields a power to weight ratio of 241 hp per metric ton (9.17 lbs/hp).

Most likely scenario is a 3400 lb car with 340 hp yielding a ratio of 221 hp per metric ton (10 lbs/hp).

Worst case scenario is a 3500 lb car with 340 hp yielding 214 hp per metric ton (10.3 lbs/hp).

For referrence:

e46 M3 = 216 hp/ton (10.2 lbs/hp)
e92 M3 = 247 hp/ton (8.94 lbs/hp)
e86 Z4 M = 231 hp/ton (9.54 lbs/hp)
135 tuned to 380 hp = 246 hp/ton (8.95 lbs/hp)

Of course power to weight is a little misleading. For a given ratio, a lighter car will handle and brake better. Not to mention feel much more tossable.
I thought the CF roof had been implied by Scott re his comment on the render.
Appreciate 0