03-13-2008, 05:01 PM   #23
taiheung
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by amk2912 View Post
Getting back on the nav thread.....

Admittedly I don't use mine that often for directions. I use it mainly for calculating my ETA at a particular destination.

For example...school is 20 to 25 minutes away and we need to get in the gate by 8:45 or else its a tailback out the school and to the main road. So if I can see what my ETA is I know whether I have to boot it or not. The ETA is ALWAYS accurate to within a minute.

One thing I have learned in life is don't skimp on the nice things in life - if you can afford it.
Once you've done the drive to school a handful of times you will know intuitively whether or not you need to kick it. I think in Australia where it's not too difficult to get around, and is quite well charted that Nav is a large luxury rather than a necessity. Personally, while I'd love the Nav I just couldn't justify the cost over a $40 UBD. Even if I bought one for every state of Australia. haha.

I know older model BMWs (eg E38) allowed you to stipulate how many kms you thought the trip would be, and then it would tell you how long the trip would take based on average speed. I found it to be highly accurate, even over long distance trips. Why they haven't included this as a simple option outside of Nav I have NFI.
Appreciate 0