View Single Post
      01-14-2009, 11:25 AM   #13
audi2bmw1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 montego 135i/acura vigor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
The Supra engine was overdesigned because that was a safer, cheaper alternative to extensive testing. They created a very robust design that will last forever at stock power levels and the aftermarket exploited it.

With the N54, we're several generations of engineering later, and there's enough data so that a design can be safe and robust at stock power levels without the huge safety margin that was built into engines like the 2jz.

What benefit is there for BMW to spend time and materials designing an engine that will handle 700Hp when they never intend for it to see more than 350Hp? It doesn't make sense from the manufacturer's point of view.
this is exactly what i was thinking....toyota meant to build a great engine but really had no idea what kind of power it could really handle and just decided to over engineer it... and the reason BMW didnt build a 700hp engine is like u put, an unintended purpose

Devils own water/meth dealer-PM me for info
former car/ 2001 audi TT ~290bhp :w00t:
Appreciate 0