08-13-2011, 01:00 PM   #15
nato-main-man-5am
special
Rep
Drives: 128i

reviving an old thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_lbc View Post
If you had a couple 30 band EQ's and wanted to do a proper measurement inside the car you could in fact come up with that one nearly perfect EQ setting that would indeed be applicable for anything you played through the system. Otherwise, all you're doing is having a preference for adding bass or adding treble or whatever—that's not at all the point of doing equalization.
I'm taking delivery of my 128 soon (with the current stock sound system, the so called "Hi Fi") and such a scenario is what I want to do.

Between the head unit and the amp, I want to place a (ideally parametric) EQ, and using test tones and a spectrum analyzer, dial in the EQ close to flat. Ideally the same unit would also have some additional DSP that gives me the option to expand the stereo image a bit and maybe even deal with timing and phase errors (optimizing the sound for the driver's [MY!] head location).

Something like:

http://www.6ave.com/shop/product.aspx?sku=ALPPXEH650

which seems to be going for under $300 online since it is out of discontinued and buggy, or RF 3sixty.1 or the JL clean sweep.
Appreciate 0