08-30-2009, 10:43 PM   #13
otterdoc
Mean Little Otter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Do you not know that synthetic flows nicely at even room temp?...Most thermostats are around 160-180F...In current ambient temps, which are well above freezing, we are easily warmed up within 5 minutes of normal driving...The oil temp gauge is causing silly concerns.
This all makes good sense, though the information we were asking for would apply in the winter when ambient temps aren't high at all. I drive in -10F temps sometimes, and I'd like not to do anything to harm the car if simply keeping my foot off the floor a bit will be better for the powertrain.

The critical question, in my mind, is to find a way to say 'the car's ready to go hard' with the information we've got at hand. The oil temp gauge clearly isn't the best way to do it but that's what we've got to work with. If there's a more practical rule of thumb to apply to a modern engine I'll happily take suggestions that have some supportive references.

A great deal of this sounds like the argument for breakin procedure, which is also frustrating to an extreme.