View Single Post
      12-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #21
bavarianstig
Private
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by yandy View Post
I've done RE-11s (my daily tire) when I first started, they were a great but $$$ tire. Then moved on to the NT-01s and found out exactly how unforgiving (the hard way) R-Comps can be if you're not experience enough.

This time around, I'm doing RS-3 in January and will report back. The NT-01s were great, but like I said, once they go, they just go. Some of you are familiar with what I'm posting, so I decided to progressively increase my skills.

There fore, while I agree that the NT-01 is a better track tire, if it's your first couple of times, stay away from them. They hide allot of mistakes, that later on may pop up.

I'm doing 255/40/17 RS-3 all around, I do have wide fenders in the front, hence the bigger tire.
To make what yandy said even more explicit, I would suggest people stay away from NT01s/r-comps unless you are in one of the advanced run groups (A/B in BMW CCA, white/red for PCA) or have at least 10-20 track days under your belt. Your ability to make quick, fine adjustments mid-corner, and to anticipate the limit of grip really have to be 2nd nature. Otherwise, your attempts to retain control of the car will be too little too late.
Appreciate 0