View Single Post
      11-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #19
white911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135I - white/coral red - sport

As others have said, the 135i will be a fine track car if you are willing to put crazy money in it. I bought with the express purpose of using it for occassional track days when I did not want to go through the logistics exercise of loading the 911 and all the associated gear on the trailer and towing on the Washington Beltway.

An S2000 can be wicked fast, it can also be wicked handling - #57

I have only driven the 135 on the three courses at Summit Point and VIR. I have driven a few E46 M3s and there is no comparison. I have no doubt you can make a 135I handle and stop better than it does. A $20K cash infusion would be nice for brakes, suspension, and wheels. You probably will want a more square set-up and that might fenders and front bumper, more cash required... Then what about that engine that is so perfect for city driving, the torque curve is wonderful. You can chip that to take advantage of boost available in the upper rpm band. Probably add an intercooler and more oil cooling. Another $4K for chip and and associated cooling. Forgot about the electronic LSD... It really is not a nice feature on the track and like other systems of its type makes extensive use of the rear brakes. Add an LSD $2500-$3500 depending on which route you take. Forgot to add the cost of the body panels and the body work. What could you do with $30K and an E46 M3?

I tracked it only five times; but the second event was enough to convince me that I did not want to track that car. First event highlighted the brake issue (discussed elsewhere). The second event (VIR) with Hawk HT10s and track tires confirmed my initial observations. For me I will continue to drive my 135I to work every day. For me, it is really one of the best commuter cars ever. Perfect broad and usable torque range. Not the least bit fussy in traffic.

Our illogical progression from street to track -- (I don't want to make the car as uncomfortable as we have made our 911) - no heater, no air, difficult to ingress and egress (cage, belts, and halo seat), no carpet, no sound deadening, close ratio gears (makes it noisier), solid motor mounts (vibrations), race motor (hard to keep running at idle), racing clutch (hard to get it going and/or put it on the trailer), trailer to go anywhere, winch to get it in the trailer..... Two trailers... What is the result? An $80K, $20K car. Only point with that is that one improvement will highlight another weakness and you will spend a lot of money and sacrifice drivabiliy.

Appreciate 0