View Single Post
      05-31-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
MikeinAlexandria
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i M Sport Convertible

Kingstowne. That is a great idea. I have not been to one of those yet this spring.

It's a lot of kids, racers, etc. But there are often fun cars, just in general. Needless to say, the Lotus gets ALOT more attention there than my 128i!

It is by the Chipotle right off Rt 613 (Kingstowne Blvd)

If I am feeling ok on Monday, I might be able to stop by, or perhaps next Monday. I could show what I have done to my car, and help do a few codings for you all.

As to dealers. I had a little feeler chat with an SA at Sterling BMW. When you code modules, they really have no clue what you've done. For example, my mirrors fold in when you click and hold the lock button. But a mechanic checking out the car would not even realize that feature was there. Likewise, pressing and holding the unlock button opens my soft top, but it is not something that is readily apparent. My welcome lights look different, as do my DRLs, but DRLs can also be shut off completely. Many codes, like the speedometer error removal are so subtle that most people would not even know. Others, like remote control pathway lighting are a little more obvious. My car is headed for some free maintenance soon, so we see. I also have a set of Blackline LCI Tail lights coming from Germany. (Very excited about them!) I have not decided to install them before or after my dealer visit. (They are a stock BMW part though, and come standard with the Blackline option, which my car has)

Now if you do a retrofit of something for a car and change the Vehicle Order (VO) that is a different story. In that case, the dealer will know something has changed because the car VO and BMW's VO for the car will be different.

Jorge, If I can ever manage to get to Katies, you are always welcome! It is an awesome display of exotic, classic, and antique cars. There are usually a few dealers there as well, with Lotus, Lamborghini, Fiat, Fisker and Aston Martin guys showing up on a regular basis.
Appreciate 0