04-28-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
froop
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08 AW 6MT E82

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjekl View Post
Hang on, you said the rotors are still ok so why do you want to replace them???

Most likely it's not the rotors causing the squeek??
Yeah that's probably the case. Most often, brake squeal is attributed to vibrations between the components of the brakes (pad, backing plate, caliper). It is usually stopped by using Brake Quiet, a type of lubricate designed to let them slide rather than vibrate. It's possible that whoever changed your pads did not use enough lubricant. Before changing all your rotors just to get rid of the squeal I would look into this first. Of course if you're just using the squeal as an excuse to upgrade by all means go ahead lol. I know all about that reasoning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsHectic View Post
Pretty sure BMWs are meant to have their rotors replaced every 2nd time you replace the pads.
Yeah that's the general rule. It's because the OE rotors when mated to the OE pads are designed to reach their minimum thickness after going through 2 sets of OE pads. If use different pads then this rule would no longer apply. I have heard somewhere that the lip that forms on the edge of the rotor when worn down a bit can contribute to some of the squealing but I don't know this for sure.