View Single Post
      04-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #10
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by duongma View Post
Just had front and rear brakes changed and the rears are still squeaking when I brake (rotors inspected and deemed good) so decided to start looking for a full set of drilled/slotted rotors.

Besides ECS, stoptec and BMW perf has anyone used anything else?
As far as I'm aware, the only difference between BMW OE and BMW Performance brakes are the front rotors are slotted & cross-drilled, while the rear rotors are slotted & dimpled. The front & rear calipers are the same but painted yellow with BMWP insignia. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135 View Post
You could consider an RB rotor kit upgrade (semi-BBK). As well as StopTech, other expensive BBK alternatives are Alcon and AP Racing.

Also, talk to Pete@Advan about the Nashin BBK that Advan sells. Some more discussion here.
Also, another option is a Brembo BBK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by froop View Post
Of course if you're just using the squeal as an excuse to upgrade by all means go ahead lol. I know all about that reasoning
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by duongma View Post
I had all pads changed and the front rotors changed which got rid of the squealing that the car has since I purchased it. All was good for a bit then the squealing came back in the rear of the car.

On inspection the mechanic said the rears rotors were still good to use but has said that the new pads may have caused contamination of the old rotors when bedding in hence the squealing. Im thinking they should have just been replaced too cause the squealing before was driving me nuts haha.

So if I am replacing the rotors I may as well look for some upgrades for street use and slotted/drilled always looks visually pleasing haha hence the questions on options :P Just wanted to see if anyone had used the DRT rotors in the ebay link cause price wise they seemed too cheap for drilled/slotted rotors.
It depends if you just want to
  1. replace the rear rotors (and possibly re-replace the rear pads) with BMW OE parts
  2. replace the front & rear rotors with OE-sized aftermarket rotors
  3. replace OE brakes with a BBK
Sounds like you're leaning towards option 2. If that's the case, I'd be tempted by the ECS slotted & cross-drilled rotors (front, rear) for street duties, as well as some suitable pads and SS lines. ECS also supply BMW Performance front rotors. If you wanted to source locally, Stuart@BMRAutowerkes usually stocks the ECS and BMWP rotors.
Appreciate 0