View Single Post
      09-04-2015, 05:16 PM   #14
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
IF you can find fuel without any ethanol - then that's what I would buy. Ethanol just dilutes the fuel power and adds a way that water can get into your engine. Plus the ethanol will corrode the fuel system over time. I prefer my fuel pure.
It won't do anything to the fuel system over time. The only thing that I can think of happening is as the rubber seals deteriorate, the water content in the ethanol could get in there and freeze in low temps, making the cracks worse. They should be replaced at that point anyways. But it will not break anything down by virtue of using it. The issues that fuel pumps have (sometimes, and really only at E40-E50) is due to specific gravity.

Water in the fuel also helps cool down combustion temps. We're talking very very low amounts that atomizes well. Like in water injection. I've heard wall-wetting thrown around a little here and there, but I'm not sure how much of an issue that is with our direct injection system vs the port injection of the past.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW135pls View Post
This is what I thought as well, then I realized that E85 really is as awesome as people say it is. So if mixing E85 in with E10 93 pump gas is a good thing, then why would E10 93 be a bad thing over E0 93?
If you wanted to play octane games, do this:

If you mix 9 gallons E0 93 with 4 gallons E85, you get ~97 octane and E26, which is much easier on your LPFP than the E33 mixture that you get if you use E10 93 instead.

8 gallons E0 with 5 gallons E85, closer to 98 octane and E33, vs E39 with E10.

Though, I think the extra money to buy E0 gas would ultimately pay for a FuelIt stg2 pump very quickly. It's almost $1.50 per gallon more at the one station that sells E0 93 here.

Good link: http://www.intercepteft.com/calc.html