View Single Post
      06-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
1speedbike
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4 M40i, 2008 135i

Where do you buy your methanol? (and a couple other questions)

Hey guys!

I'm very excited to install my new meth kit (courtesy of BMS) when I get back from a short vacation, but as I think ahead to what having a kit entails, I'm thinking up a few questions for the more experienced meth heads...

First off... Where do you buy your methanol? I know some race tracks and shops (maybe even some gas stations?) sell it, but I know of none near me in the north jersey area. I know you can buy boost juice (49% meth) online, but at about 40-45 bucks shipped for 4 gallons, that's not terrible but not exactly reasonable either. Is it cheaper to just mix your own?

Otherwise, I am familiar with ordering lab grade chemicals due to my studies and work, but ordering methanol and distilled water by the bus load from the suppliers isn't that cheap either. Any good local sources or wholesale type places I can get either premixed or separate methanol and DI water? I guess I should probably use distilled or deionized water, so I guess a distiller is good for the long run (which actually brings me to my next question...)

How much meth is usually used over the course of a week/month/year? I only have a 1 gallon tank, so how often should I expect to fill up? I know the meth only flows when necessary, so it depends on the driving style, but I still don't have a good grasp on how fast a gallon goes. I generally dont floor it too often, just getting on the highway when traffic permits. For example if I buy a distiller for a few hundred bucks, is it worth it over the cost of buying water? I guess it's more worth it if the meth goes fast.

Finally.. When you run map 3 on the JB4 for the meth, is the software assuming you have downpipes as well? I bought some, but I haven't installed them yet and I'm probably going to get around to installing the downpipes after the meth kit. I know the merh kicks in when the turbos work harder, but the boost limit is increased by the software when you run downpipes as well. I just don't want it to assume its okay getting up higher is okay before the meth kicking in... Also, any idea if you can set it so meth kicks in at a lower boost level, just for that extra cooling and peace of mind? I don't think there would be any downside to this..

Thank you for looking!!

Scruffy's gonna die the way he lived... Mmhm.

Appreciate 0