View Single Post
      04-22-2010, 11:04 AM   #122
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post

If the car isn't called the M1 or 1M for that matter then I am of the belief that this is down to the fact that the 1 series is close to the end of it's life cycle and as there has never been an 'M' with such a short life it would probably be better to save the proper name for the new 1 series.

Footie, we have not seen a single spy shot of the next generation 1 series coupe. We have only seen the hatch. That means it is coming first. The next one coupe could be a good year away after that. That counts for something. 2013 is a good ways away. BMW did sell the E46M3 along side the non-M E9X, right? I dont think being at the end of the life cycle has much to do with it. Why? That would even strengthen the appeal of the M1/1M. It would be rare and very sought after. If BMW chose not to do an M for the current gen of 1er we would be weary if they would do it for the next.

I'm of the opinion that the name cant be too long. M135is sounds like the car has an identity crisis. That sounds almost as bad as the Z4's new naming.