View Single Post
      12-02-2011, 02:13 AM   #49
bimmer ///man
Captain
Rep
Drives: M

Lol, the 135 in this article revolves around the fitting M3 suspension pieces to the 135 (subframe bushings, control arms, etc) which is what the M division did in the creation of the 1M. It's because the M-Division did a good job in designing these parts.

Better is a subjective term. Better at what? Better MPG? Better stopping distances? Better NVH dampening? etc.

What do you mean the 1M is not a tuned 135i? That is what it is. Plain and simple. There is no denying that. The engine is from the Z4 3.5is/335is which is a tweaked N54 from any of the 135/335/535/X5 3.5i. The rear subframe is from an M3 as well as the diff. The brakes are from the M3 as are the dampers. The front subframe and most underpaneling are the same as the 135. The exhaust is the same as the 135i.

The interior is identical to the msport 135 as well as side from the orange stitching, alcantara and M gauge cluster.

It is a tuned 135 that has been tweaked. That is the POINT. If the 1M was a completely new project it would have never been made. It would have been too close in price to the M3 in price. By utilizing the M division part bin and turbo technology they were able to create a package that they felt deserving of the M badge.

Don't knock a modified coilover set up until you have tried it. Yes, M did a great job but they aren't going to sell adjustable suspension to the customer. It opens them up to liability and added cost.

Like I said in a previous post, I love the 1M, don't get me wrong but people are getting a little carried away. I guarantee that if it had been called a 135M and they produced thousands rather than hundreds, a lot of you wouldn't be on this forum nor debating how superior the "135M" is to the 135i.
Appreciate 0