View Single Post
      03-06-2009, 06:56 AM   #2
LittleVik
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 128i Black/Black

I purchased my first BMW at Herb Chambers in Boston, and it was not a great experience. It just wasn't a friendly negotiation, and it was like pulling teeth. They really just didn't want to budge on anything, it was as if they expected I should plunk down the sticker cost or something, even though they full well know its overinflated (as an industry practice). Then, when the car turned out to be a Lemon and was in the shop for a month after I bought it, they didn't want to take it back. Huge fight ensues for two weeks, and I ram car down their throats, and they upgrade me to another one, which runs as expected. Those two weeks were awful, and it was a real down and out fight with managers there to have them do anything. I had to yell and threaten before anything got done, when I was nice they ignored me and said there was nothing they could do.

That said, their mechanics made valiant efforts and were super nice to me, and gave me lots of advice in the process, including what to say to sales and management to get my car replaced. I would take my car there for service in a second, good guys.

I attempted to purchase a vehicle (upgrade) at Foreign Motors West, but I could not get them to sell me a car. They were more than willing to let me buy one, but made no effort to actually sell me one, or to give any sort of incentive, push, or barter on price. I do take my car to FMW for service, and they have always done an excellent job there. The only issue is that they do not have a lot of BMW loaners, so you might be driving a Ford Focus or some other death trap if you don't specify when making an appointment.

I actually got my 128i at Herb in Boston, different salesman, and it was an extremely nice experience the second time around. It took almost no time, they were very good on the price, and it was just all around a very pleasant experience, I can't complain. It might have been that they really wanted to sell cars due too economy, but I think the salesman had a lot to do with it. I mean, I went in to merely *look* at cars and bought one in about 2 hrs, so you know that guy was pretty good and nice to deal with.

My advice to go all over, and see how you feel about the person you are dealing with, and to get a feel for whether the guy wants to make a sale or not. You can sort of feel it when the guy really wants to make a sale, and is willing to work with you to make it happen.
Appreciate 0