Space Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 135newbie View Post
having said that, i diffenately want to start pumping more hourses up this beast.
and from what ive got from your reply is that theres a different setup for each person that results in a certain fix. for example some people mod to drag race some people mod to track race some people mod to drift and so on.
Well, if you want more horses, the best first mod is an aftermarket tune, such as JB4 ($500), Cobb ($800), or Procede ($500). That'll get you a good 60-80 hp, and it'll give you the opportunity to gain extra hp when you use aftermarket downpipes ($400-800, 20 hp), exhaust ($500-1000, 10-20 hp), and intercooler ($400-800, 10-20 hp).

As far as choosing brands, there is a lot of discussion and there's no outright favorite in terms of bang-for-buck. They all have pros and cons. I'm not convinced that there's a big difference between different brands of exhaust/intake/intercoolerse/etc.

But you should definitely start out with a tune... JB4 is my favorite (lots of features, easy switching between different maps), but some people prefer Cobb (supposedly smoother) or Procede (should be similar to JB4, but I haven't used it).

Quote:
what am looking for is a mod that will help me take control of the car, drift when i want to drift and have fun with the car, and also to a certain point be grippy enough to enjoy a nice cruise on a highway.
If you want to take control of the car, coilovers will completely change the way that the car feels. Or just springs/shocks. Again, there are a lot of options, depending on your budget and your needs in terms of comfort vs performance. I have the BMW Performance suspension, which is a bit overpriced, but maintains your warranty because it's made by BMW. For the same price, you can get something adjustable from KW of Bilstein.

I don't know much about drifting, so I can't tell you much there.

Quote:
as a first stage what should i be modding, so that the car still is an everyday car but has a split personality to it,
Tune. Definitely a tune. Everybody agrees that it's the first mod to give your car that "split personality."

Quote:
also i would like to bring to your attention that kuwait is pretty much cold in winter, hence i dont think summer tires would serve me good in winter,
Summer tires are fine for Kuwait cold. You only really need winter/all-season tires if you have snow/ice on the roads. Summer tires are also suboptimal in below-freezing temperatures, but most people agree that it's not worth spending the money for an extra set of tires just for the occasional freezing temperature.

Here in Chicago, we need winter tires because there is snow everywhere and the temperature never goes above freezing in January.

Quote:
and as for roads in kuwait, i would generalize and say it all perfectly poored concrete, highways might be the smoothest but inner city roads, eyakh!!
Ah, well, if you drive on a lot of crappy roads, you might not want to get too stiff of a suspension. Koni FSDs are known for being comfortable on bad roads with decent handling when you want it (but they're not adjustable, and you have to buy springs separately). If your budget allows it, you can also go to KW V3 or Bilstein B19 with the electronic ride control, which will allow you to have a comfortable suspension when you want, and then push a button to go into "sport" mode. And if you don't mind the harshness, you could go for a more traditional coilover set.

Quote:
anyways so what do you think my first mod should be, at least to start having some fun with the car .
Tune.
Mods completed: JB4+ & FBO || LSD || BMW-P suspension + F/R sway bars || 18" Breyton GTS-R || M3 front bushings || Vogtland camber plates || BMW-P rotors + Stoptech pads |||| Acquired, not installed: BMS WW Meth kit || Logic HVI intake || Mishimoto OCC |||| Shopping for: Summer tires
Appreciate 0