champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl8anic View Post
Call me spoiled for wanting things I get for free from Waze or Googlemaps
The BMW car navigation system is more useful for giving turn by turn directions than it is as a "mapping program," per se. I think that my portable Garmin unit is actually a lot more capable. Whatever the proprietary software that is present in the BMW, I doubt it would be worth the effort to try to get it to work with downloaded public domain maps. I would not update the BMW Nav maps more often than maybe once every 2 years, barring a tremendous amount of road changes and construction in your area(s) of interest. $50 strikes me as a very reasonable cost for doing infrequent updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sl8anic View Post
I'm still in the investigation phase of how one can code things on the BMW platform to which I'm very new. Seems like Carly's niche is pre-baked car tweaks that is very straightforward and user friendly. All of the coding is almost completely abstracted from the end-user at the cost of only being able to perform "canned" changes. Do I capture this correctly?

On the flip side - is there anything really special on the Carly HW dongle (BT or WiFi) that prevents folks from using it with applications like NCSExpert or any of the BMW tools that rely on a presence of a serial port as a gateway into ODB2/DCAN interface?
I think you have the gist of it correctly. I would be careful about coding as there is a risk of bricking the chips, not that using Carly and its adapter is any guarantee against that. If you are going to use the Carly coding program, I think it would be a mistake, and introduce additional risk of damage, by using some other OBD2 adapter with the Carly system.
Appreciate 0