Thread: Carly V. 2
View Single Post
      01-19-2016, 02:08 PM   #77
sl8anic
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i MT

Of course, pretty much any built-in Nav system has been a dinosaur, VW finally got it right by allowing you to connect into your phone's much more flexible (and up to date) capability. Wave of the (near) future IMHO, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
The BMW car navigation system is more useful for giving turn by turn directions than it is as a "mapping program," per se. I think that my portable Garmin unit is actually a lot more capable. Whatever the proprietary software that is present in the BMW, I doubt it would be worth the effort to try to get it to work with downloaded public domain maps. I would not update the BMW Nav maps more often than maybe once every 2 years, barring a tremendous amount of road changes and construction in your area(s) of interest. $50 strikes me as a very reasonable cost for doing infrequent updates.

Yup yup. What I had in mind is actually the other way around - using Carly HW dongle with other programs to perform coding. I have a lot more faith in Carly as an organization to perform QA vs some no-name shop that sells a knock-off One-Stop-Electronics cable harness. I wonder if anyone has done that, trying to avoid spending another $100 on yet another cable to do programming outside of what Carly is supporting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
I think you have the gist of it correctly. I would be careful about coding as there is a risk of bricking the chips, not that using Carly and its adapter is any guarantee against that. If you are going to use the Carly coding program, I think it would be a mistake, and introduce additional risk of damage, by using some other OBD2 adapter with the Carly system.
Appreciate 0