View Single Post
      03-07-2012, 07:26 PM   #43
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Well, we can agree to disagree, though Cobb does agree with my observations (not implying one is either right or wrong, all a matter of taste and how you want/expect the power to be delivered). Here is my take on all the maps:

1. Valet - worthy for its purpose but seldom (if at all) used
2. Simulated stock - not sure what is the benefit of running that vs. just flashing back to stock which takes a couple of minutes
3. Linear throttle maps - 2 of them (91 and 93). Worthless to me as it 'disables' the M button. I dunno why would someone prefer to drive these (other than a more linear indeed throttle which makes modulation easier especially in track conditions), we have an M car, equipped with an M button, which I use intermittently on every drive I take (e.g switch it off when it congestion, on otherwise). So no, I don't want to live without that functionality.
4. Aggressive throttle maps - 2 of them (91 and 93). For those with 93 fuel, really one of use.

So at the end of the day, from a total of 6 maps, there is really only one I would use (the one that keeps the M button 'functional', and sadly no choice on throttle linearity, as you either get one or the other). Their tuners have stated they will be working on having the Linear maps incorporate the M button on and off feature, but allegedly it will take time...

Last I heard, the only 'shop' car they were expecting to get was...in Portland. And that was 6 weeks ago, and not heard anything since. Good to check in and see what the the first 10 weeks of the year have meant in terms of development (or lack thereof)... But its a fair statement that there is a lot of wood to chop...

Ok. It seems that it comes down to the M button and what it does.
But the M button is simply part of the stock tune. When engaged it draws on a map for quicker throttle response, so that given the same amount of movement in the throttle pedal results in either the throttle valve/plate opens quicker, or the valve opens more given the same pedal input. It could be a bit of both as well.

Still, if it's good for the 1M N54, then it would be as good for the non M N54.
Yes, it would be cool if tuners included options for DBW throttle response curves and throttle opening curves, that could be altered by the driver.
I still don't see how this would be specific to the 1M though.
It would be some added tuneability that any N54 driver might enjoy.
If it were in the software and adjustable, the tuners could use the M button to engage a particular response curve, whereas on a non M the driver may have to use some other button pushes to activate certain throttle response maps, maybe using the curse control where one tap gives 1 map, 2 pushes gives another, etc...
In the 1M the M button could be used to achieve the same things, 1 push, 2 pushes, etc...

So, the only difference there would be the use of the M button vs using some other button on non M's Then, there would be a 1M specific tune, cause of the M button.
It'll allow 1M owners to feel a bit of that M special-ness.
Appreciate 0