View Single Post
      09-20-2011, 12:20 PM   #29
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

I got a few PMs regarding the CPE bracket. As I mentioned, I am too busy/lazy to set up an image hosting acct at this point but here's the response I've sent out along with a description of minor install issues I noted.

I will continue to send photos from my private email if you PM me.

And to those who got photos...feel free to post them. I don't care about my plates being seen but if you want to distort them, then go for it.

There's some lens distortion from the iPhone camera but the plate is aligned with the bumper lines so it is a tiny bit elevated on the lateral edge.

I didn't get the Platypus since I think it partially blocked the air intake.
The biggest hassle was realizing I needed two types of Loctite and a 3/8" hex wrench (an entire set was 6 bucks at my hardware store).

The tow bolt paint was peeling off from top surface that abuts onto the mounting plate, when I was dry running the initial fit so I stripped it all off.

I also prepped the threads and tow bolt insertion receptacle on the car with rubbing alcohol to get the lube off of them from the manufacturing process.
Aligning the plate with the bumper lines was done by sight and trial and error but it wasn't that bad.

On my car the tow bolt from the CPE and Bavarian Auto tended to sit pretty much flush on the upper edge of the bumper's tow bolt cut-out. I had to gently lift the bumper with my hand when I was rotating the tow bolts into place and they are still flush with the cut-out's upper edge. There doesn't seem to be any deformity occurring on this lip. I don't know if this is unique to my car or to all 1M's. However, since both plates were made for 135's our 1M bumpers may just sit a few millimeters lower, causing this minor issue.

IMO, this hassle is much more preferable than drilling a hole in the bumper.

When I go in for my 1200 mile, the guys are going to try a double-sided tape on the BMW supplied front license mount but I doubt it will work.
Appreciate 0