View Single Post
      01-20-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

I am sure there are lots of people who likes the idea of EDC or variable/adjustable suspension systems for a variety of reasons. Sure I am not one of them. In my opinion it is essentially the driver who must adapt his driving style to different road conditions and learn his car and there is nothing wrong or incomplete about that principal. A fixed suspension/ride is like one of the very fundamental reference points a driver can and should learn about his/her car which makes it possible for the driver to trust how it behaves on different roads and conditions and so we know exactly how the car will react when you do something right or wrong. I understand people choosing a "different" set up than the stock one because they may like that different feel or set up better than the stock, but it is more blurred for me when it comes to the logic behind variable and electronically controlled systems.

There are ways to get what you exactly want from your car without introducing EDC to the menu and in the case of 1M I believe better tires (and maybe 18 inch wheels) are just more than enough for most both on the road and occasionally on track. For people who likes to get things more precise there are camber plates and a few other simple, proven and cheap tricks as well.

In short, the 1M suspension is just fine, rides fine enough too especially with proper tires and some say on 18 inch wheels it is even better and I bet it is. One of the things that I love about this car is it doesn't have everything "adjustable" like every other modern gadget we have in our lives, you need to work it out and adapt yourself, respect to it and try to optimize what you have in hand. One less thing to configure before you even start driving, beauty!

Maybe I wouldn't even consider 1M if it had every option available like EDC, auto box, active steering etc. It is what makes the 1M special, a straightforward and old school solution which proves to be working great because it is designed as a one single set up by its engineers, an integral and harmonious unit. It doesn't have plan Bs and Cs in its genes.

Just food for thought, no one should take any offense and sorry if I took it a a bit off topic and probably too long as well.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.
Appreciate 0