View Single Post
      06-28-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

BMW Performance suspension + m3 front kit review

Hey guys,

Just installed this kit on my 135i last night, right now its getting aligned, so i only have some basic first impressions.

Here's a list of parts that were installed

-bmw yellow springs
-matching bumpstops
-bmw performance shocks / struts
-all mounting hardware
-DID NOT install the sway bar
-m3 front control arm kit (upper and lower arms)

Impressions

The kit barely lowers the car in my case, but to me, that is not a bad thing. The install went well, the m3 bushings on the control arms are much stiffer than stock, so installing them takes a little muscle and patience, but nothing too bad.

So far, i have only driven it a very short distance because when you install the m3 front control arm kit your alignment will be so far out of spec the car feels like it wants to drive you straight off the road.

What I have noticed so far though, is that the car handles bumps and wavy roads with ease compared to stock and the eibach pro system kit i had before. It reacts smoothly and greatly diminishes suspension travel while at the same time not being harsh or violent in doing so.

The steering also seems much more linear and firm, and the car is super fast to turn in, basically as easy to turn in as my old e90 m3, though that car felt heavier but also had more mechanical grip.

I do have re-11's on the stock wheels, which i will replace with apex ec-7 in the near future, so that helps some with the handling and overall steering feel. I find that a tire like the re-11 with its stiff sidewall can almost replicate the steering feel of the runflats but offer much much more traction and grip.

I will have some pics up over the next few days and report back with driving impressions after i get the car back from alignment. I am hoping to achieve -.75 or greater camber, but am not too worried about it since i only plan to track this car 4-6 times per year max and use it as a DD.

So far, i love the upgrade, and the ride comfort once aligned should be top notch along with epic steering feel.

I do not regret going with the bmw performance springs and matched shocks, and am glad i did not match aftermarket shocks with the springs, as the kit "as-is" is perfect for me.