05-19-2012, 05:06 AM   #16
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by int2str View Post
I never thought of "ram air" when talking about the scoops. In the BMW case, I'd like to think that the scoops may help avoid stalling of the air in the intake tract.

On [recent] BMWs, the air intake is angled 90 degrees down and presents as two holes in a plane. Imagine for a moment that the engine is off, and not sucking in air. If the car is moving forward (despite the engine being off) - especially faster - the air rushes past these openings. With my limited knowledge of fluid dynamics, I think this could cause stalling of the air and essentially creating a vacuum in the intake tract. Now of course the engine running causes negative pressure in the intake and thus sucks in air - even against the stalling force.

Based on that (quite possibly flawed) assumption, I could imagine that the air scoops actually redirecting incoming air upwards, would aid in airflow by reducing the stalling/slowdown of incoming air.

Again, quite possibly wrong, but just my $0.02...

you wouldnt be stalling the air perse. But the 90 degree angle of the intake ducts to the free stream causes separation of the flow at the forward most point.

Its hard to explain without drawings. But the air rushing around the corner wont be able to hold the corner - no matter what. The scoops will make no difference because the air still has to turn that sudden 90 degrees, which it really cant do efficiently.

If you want redesign the intake track to the filter than something like a GT500 KR hood would be in your future. No turns until the filter is much more efficient.

Appreciate 0