View Single Post
      08-21-2007, 06:55 AM   #8
ducati
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan View Post
Hopefully, the choice of the 128 instead of the 130 indicates that BMW will price the car as low as possible as a marque introduction car and that low price basis will help bring the 135 in at around 33K...

The 130 is quite premium - doesn't fit my perceived role of the 1er in the US - lure in fresh meat...
How does this explain the 328?

Anyone know the physical differences between the two states of tune?

Personally, I enjoy NA motors more than turbo'd. And I have a "thing" for NA straight sixes--the two I owned have been two of my favorite engines, period. If the 128 was the 265hp version, I'd probably be leaning that direction. The difference between 230/200 and 300/300 is enormous, though, on the road.

WolfsburgerMitFries: VAG does this all the time. It is, indeed, quite annoying. I can understand power bumps that involve a lot of redesign to stay fresh in the market... But when you're talking about 1.8T's (and now, 2.0T) in various states of tune simply with a chip (discounting the 225hp TT, which had various other differences), that's just BS. My wife's 1.8T Bug is software-throttled, as were the original Jettas and A4's; if I log boost it's quite obvious where VW dials back the boost as the revs rise. It's not like the 170/180hp 1.8T's were any less reliable, VAG should have started there to begin with.

Which is what BMW should do, in an age of >260 hp Nissans and Hondas.
Appreciate 0