03-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #63
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeman View Post
From what I've seen from some dynos, it doesn't look like a 1M really needs an aftermarket tune. I don't know where BMW rates the 1M but it too low. Dyno comparisions seem to have it putting very similar hp to the 400hp rated M3. So I'd bet a stock 1M would dyno very similar to most non-meth tuned 135s or 335s. If a tune is only gonna gain 30ish hp, why tune and run into warranty, etc. issues. I guess I could see it more if you plan to run meth, etc.

The other funny thing though, is on a 135, a tune with supporting mods gains you more like 100hp. But then you can't find wheels that will allow you to put on big enough tires to put this Hp on the ground. For example my wheels are fairly similar to many of the 135 aftermarket wheels and I recently tried to install 255 rear Michelin PSS's and I rub very bad. A few years ago I had went as far as buying a Procede with meth setup but with just the Procede I realized meth would be fairly useless since I was already just spinning my tires into third gear even with my aftermarket LSD.
1M does not "need" a tune, it's the owners who need one

Seriously, it is now quite obvious to me after seeing lots of dyno results that 1M stock is 20 to 30 whp away from a V8 M3 which is practically zero difference due to weight difference. You don't feel this car needs more power unless maybe you are racing or so. You do feel the opposite most of the time, that there is too much power low down in first two gears.

The engine related imperfections of 1M are not too much and not too serious at all; even better throttle response and less lag in non-M mode is first small issue, happier revving after around 6000 is second and lack of proper sound is third. None of these are I would call real flaws because the car is already better than most if not all turbo engined cars I know or heard of in those areas, but I would say it can get a 8 or 9 out of 10 in those three points while it is 10/10 at flexibility and mid range potential for instance. A tune may or may not cure those issues, depends, but in fact a few simple bolt on mods without touching the engine do cure them greatly: good exhaust (sure best is a full exhaust including down pipes but maybe just a good catless mid pipe would still help), plus a better charge pipe, and a better intake or at least a better flowing air filter together mean that you cure those relatively weak spots to a great extend already. The car won't be an M3 after those mods in terms of response and high revving but it also won't feel that there is a bit more you would like to have. N54T is an absolutely great engine with its own character and adds a lot to 1M's personality and it makes it a different car not just a mini M3 with which it shares pants and shoes. With good tires and/or suspension you can also put down the power better and va la: absolutely amazing without a tune in real world driving.

I am not saying a tune is all together meaningless, everything can make sense if you get what you want out of it and if you enjoy the result; but I am just saying it is not really, universally needed in the case of 1M like a mid pipe or a charge pipe or grippier tires are needed from day one, I mean of course if you are not a resident on the sweet parts of German autobahn or in competitive racing. The car feels just perfect because it is superbly balanced (balance between the capacity of its chassis and its engine) just with a few simple touch. I like power enhancing tunes only when some guys get some real chassis mods first and then carefully put some more power with a well researched and executed tune. I am not a big fan of vice versa obviously!

If I would change my mind one day I would try either GIAC or Evolve first though. They seem to fit the 1M more than most others from what users reported; first of all they were both developed on 1M test cars, they are not simply carried over from a existing 135i/335i tune. Also they both seem to prioritize linearity-smoothness and reliability over absolute or peak power, that's the approach I find interesting.
BMW 1M-SOLD-: TECH: Evolve Race+N55mids, Evolve IC, Michelin PSS, ER cp, aFe filter, CDVx, Vorshlag camber plates, BMS OCC EXTERIOR: trunk spoiler, blacklines, black grills, IND goodies INTERIOR: Alcantara steering wheel, steel pedals, custom mats, MPower e-brake.

Last edited by ozinaldo; 03-23-2013 at 11:11 PM..
Appreciate 0