08-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #27
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkR171 View Post
x10

All these MT vs DCT threads and making fun of one or the other is childish at best. It's a matter of personal preference and each have their pros and cons. I autocross my daily driver 135i. To me, DCT is the perfect transmission. The Autocross courses in Hawaii have limited space and are much tighter and more technical than most mainland courses I've seen on youtube videos. The DCT allows me to concentrate more on my driving line while giving me full control of what gear I'm in and making those shifts perfectly every time. Also with the DCT, I use my left foot to brake making the braking <> accelerating shifts quicker than if I had to use my left foot for the clutch.

Will I go back to driving a manual? No. I enjoy driving, but I can accept that the computer is better than me and have no problem taking full advantage of it. Is the 6MT "more fun"? Possibly, but it depends on your personal definition of fun. The 6MT is more involved, the DCT allows the driver to concentrate on other aspects of driving to go faster.

Will the 6MT go away? No, it's still the most popular transmission across most of the world. It's simpler to produce, cheaper, and a lot of drivers like it. Will DCT fans go back to the 6MT? Maybe some will miss the involvement, others like me will embrace the technology.

I probably enjoy the DCT so much because I'm young (22) and grew up playing Gran Turismo and other PC racing sims in online racing leagues and competitions before I could see over the dashboard and reach the pedals in a full-size car.
It is true that it is personal preference.
Enthusiasts are always concerned about accel times and how fast a particular car will go. But, it's also true that people don't buy the fastest car they can afford. People buy what enthuses them, even if it's faster or slower.

It used to be that MT's were the fastest way to go in most cars.
Technology has changed that.
Now we also see that it's not just the all out speed that interests people in a particular car.

The step 135i and the MT are both equally fast in acceleration.
So, it's obvious that those who chose MT's are not doing so because they are faster. Now comes the DCT which is faster than the MT, and still some people don't want them. They can appreciate the technology and how fast acceleration can be, but it's a personal choice on how one wants to get their acceleration.

There are distinct differences, and that leads to distinct choices.
Wanting automatic functionality has it's benefits for sure, and people shouldn't be knocked for that choice, especially considering the vast improvement in overall performance. The step and DCT have brought true performance to the enthusiast driver who doesn't want to have to shift manually, all the time. I for one can't find fault with that in light of the extremely impressive performance of these automatics.

As well, DCT and step drivers need to respect manual drivers and their choice. After all, the step and DCT exist because enthusiasts and engineers kept working on a way to achieve manual like performance in an automatic/automated transmission, and they have succeeded.
The historically better performance of a manual trans is what drove the auto trans technology to the level it is now, and it will get even better.
If all enthusiasts were happy with typical slushbox performance, then the step and DCT wouldn't have been needed.

For us manual lovers, there simply are some control and feel aspects that even the best dual clutch transmissions can not give. It comes down to that man/mechanical interaction of physically moving and engaging pedals and levers to extract the performance. It's physical, and offers a feel that automation can't give. You can understand it, experience it, accept it, or continue to argue against it with all manner of numbers and stats. But, there is an unmeasurable and unquantifiable aspect to driving a manual.
You either get it or you don't. But, at least respect it.

I'm seriously considering a DCT in my new car. I may find that I don't like it and miss the interaction of man and machine that a manual still offers.
Still, I wont' mind trying it out.
I've got 2 more years of testing before I have to decide.

Last edited by RPM90; 08-12-2010 at 11:36 PM..
Appreciate 0