View Single Post
      11-28-2009, 09:28 PM   #113
m3bs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 S54 M3, X5, GT4, GR Corolla

I had the opportunity to drive a '07 C6Z06 and a '10 GTR yesterday. I think I could learn to like the GTR, but where can you use it? It is fast, but it is also a huge car. It handles the weight well, with monstrous tires and brakes, and I loved the dual clutch transmission. I wonder how long it will last on the track, and I hate to think about the cost of tires and brakes for the thing.

Then I drove the Z06. Talk about a blunt instrument. Of course it is fast, but incredibly clunky in its operation. I've also driven an '08 Z51 Vette, and they have made significant improvements in the steering and shifter over the '07 model. Afterwards, my car felt so tight and precise - steering, brakes, shifter, brakes, seats, pedal position, etc. It reminded me of why I keep coming back to BMW. With my JB3 only set to map 2, it really didn't feel much slower in terms of street performance. I'm sure 500HP would make it's presence known on a long track like VIR, but how much can you use on the street? Both cars will spin the wheels readily. Tire smoke is not high on my priority list.

Bottom line: Our cars may have some issues, but I've yet to drive the car I'd want to buy to replace it. (Still looking for a chance to drive a GT3 - preferably on the track!) The E92M3 would be at the top of my list, but even that doesn't feel as strong in day-to-day driving. If I sell the 135, it will be because I simply don't need the extra car, not because I'm tired of it.
Appreciate 0