01-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #32
cvc 22349a
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
No Wolfe, for the front bushing where it attaches to the car chassis - it has a square hole. The chassis has a square peg that mates up exactly. So the axle then "locks into" the body of the car. This square notch or peg is only on one side.

I don't know how the tech lined the bushing up with the axle carrier. I suspec BMW puts little "arrows" on the axle subframe to show the installer how to mount the bushing. Much in the same way front control arm bushings for an e36/e46 has on those eye-lets.

Also... my biggest fear after I had commited to this "upgrade" was I was affraid of how the rear suspension would react to bump steer. Espcially in the rain and in mid turn. I was worried how the car's rear axle would behave durring bumps while cornering. I had thought since these bushings are so much harder(in my hand) than stock OE ones, that I would have to put up with a lot of bump steer. But to my surprise there is NONE.

There is literally no downside to this upgrade other than the cost and a slightly rougher ride on really(really!) bad cobble stone roads. But I really don't drive on cobble stone roads (much) - so this is no big deal. On any kind of pavement the car rides just like normal. Just without ANY wiggle or squirm.
There's still bump steer; you haven't encountered it yet. It is reduced w/these bushings. These bushings w/m3 front control arms are by far the best susp mod if you're running on non-rft Only downside is a slight increase in NVH..
Hope you enjoy your new found stability