View Single Post
      09-14-2012, 02:07 PM   #8
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

While the answer is certainly yes, my opinion is that nitrogen is a waste of money. Air is 78% nitrogen anyway. Paying more for nearly 100% nitrogen doesn't really provide a benefit worth any money, at least to me. It doesn't hurt anything, the question is just if it has a benefit worth even a low price. I've read the arguments but I just don't see it.

I suggested the match balancing because I think it's better and it might be a way to differentiate between installers. If an installer match balances, they are capable of more of a high end job and probably are the place where the people really into their cars go.

I also would not pay more for the BMW dealer to install tires unless I had information to say they do a better job. The simple fact that they are the car dealer doesn't say much to me about how well they install tires. I have no doubt they can do it but they do not do it every day like a tire place and they may or may not be good at it. There are jobs requiring special tools or knowledge where a dealer is preferred and may be the only option. But tires are not beyond the ability of other establishments.

Jim