View Single Post
      11-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #17
Lee123
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT Convertible

I've had a DCT for a year and the clutch does not slip except perhaps slightly when starting. That's probably why the throttle is applied slowly and the clutch engages slowly when attmpting a full throttle standing start without the launch control. I drove a 1978 280z with slipping clutch for 2 years, being too broke at the time to get it fixed. Attempting a fast start from a light felt like it was doing a burnout without any tendancy to fishtail. RPMs would go way too high for the speed and the car would gradually catch up to it. It would not spin the tires on dry pavement, the clutch would slip. Same thing starting off on a steep hill. It was sort of like continually driving on slightly wet pavement. The slipping is not constant, it is related to load and very noticable for that reason. Anyone who thinks the DCT clutch slips all the time should try the launch control once. Even if you let the car go at 2500 rpm there is no doubt that the clutch takes hold quickly and firmly. I wish there was a way to get about half that effect at other times since the launch control is way too much for pulling into traffic, but that's another subject.

Last edited by Lee123; 11-21-2011 at 09:50 PM..
Appreciate 0