06-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #4
cpsquare8
Private
Rep
Drives: 135is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigiggs View Post
Hi Guys,

After test driving a 135i yesterday I have more or less made up my mind on the 135is. It would have been nice to have snagged up a 1M but the timing would have been impossible.

Anyways I have a few questions.

I am assuming that because the car has not been officially launched (or for that matter reviewed by anyone) I have not been able to track down an invoice price. I have calculated that the 135i is marked up by approximately 8.5% from MSRP. I presume that a 135is would have a similar markup from MSRP although I am not sure. For negotiation purposes does anyone know what the invoice is? Or can at least point me where to find it?

Does anyone know of any dealer incentives or rebates that I would be qualified to receive?

This would be my first BMW and really my first new car I have ever purchased (Never really been given anything b/c my family comes from a hard working background) so any negotiating tips/suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks for all your help in advance.
1. I have the full MSRP pricing sheet for the car and all available options and packages. Any BMW salesperson will print out the data if you are an interested buyer-walk in the showroom and ask. That is all I did, No secrets on MSPR or the options available. When it will be published on BMW USA's web site is anyone's guess. When you put it all in with the technology package and the premium package plus all the available items - heated seats, HK sound, backup sensors, auto headlights and anti theft it has an MSRP of 51,850 including $895 destination. The dealer invoice with the the PDI and prep comes in at approximately - best information I have seen - $48,220 - PDI and prep varies slightly by dealer and location. They do have real cost to make the car ready for delivery. So your 8.5% is in the ballpark, 7.5% on the numbers above - the 1% is the amount that a typical dealer says it will cost them to ready the car for delivery - $500 bucks - and we could debate the validity of that cost - they do need to pay to clean it, pull the plastic, gas it up, and fill out a bunch of paperwork for BMW in the pre delivery inspection.

2. Since the cars are not scheduled for delivery until fall the dealers will not know the exact financing or incentives that will be available until after 7/1 when BMW tells them - for example they may offer a loyalty incentive or a lease or financing deal. When I recently picked up my pre ordered 3 series they told me that they had to give me a 1k rebate due to delivery in April-they got 1k and I got 1k - car was ordered in January. Nice surprise.

As to negotiating a deal - if you want the car with a specific color and specific options you will need to order it. The benefit to the dealer when you do this relates to his costs. BMW requires that any new car ordered is paid for by the dealer before they manufacture it. Now realize that BMW also provides floorplan financing and a boat load of incentives to the dealers based on volumes ordered. So they are not paying cash - but financing the purchase. If it is already sold to a buyer they have a small financial benefit because they do not need to pay to put it in inventory - less interest cost to carry it on the lot. What this comes down to is how much the dealer is willing to make on the car and how the order impacts the allocation of future products.

So the issue centers on how much leg work and time do you have to spend negotiating with dealers on a car that will likely require a pre order to get how you want it versus waiting to find one on a lot or in an allocation sometime in the later part of this year. And we could also debate what is fair for a dealer to make on a car that cost them 45 to 48k depending on options. They do need to make something because if they sold it to your for cost they would not be around for very long to service it.
Appreciate 0