View Single Post
      05-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #30
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Ok, here is my little DIY brake bleeding procedure…

Tools & Supplies needed

*Motive (or similar) pressure bleeder, with European screw on cap.
*Two liters of DOT-4 Brake fluid.
*11mm, 12point box-end ring wrench.
*6mm inner diameter CLEAR tubing/hose. Found at any fish supply
shop. 1 meter will be more than enough!
*four Jack stands and a good quality floor jack.
*17mm ½ drive socket and torque wrench.
*small ½ liter bottle to catch old brake fluid.
*Brake Clean spray
*shop towels
*new and clean Turkey Baster(Sp?) – to suck out brake fluid. Don’t
forget this important tool!

I always use DOT-4 or Super DOT-4 brake fluid.

DO NOT use DOT-5, bc this is a synthetic brake fluid and it is dam hard to flush all the old fluid out to use this DOT-5 stuff. It can cause more harm than good. So just stick to DOT-4 fluids.

First thing you want to do is put the car level on four jack stands and remove all four wheels. You can also just do ONE wheel at a time – but this is more of a PITA if you ask me.

Open the hood and access the brake res plastic cover (remove it). Its just in front of the driver, under the hood, up by the wiper arms & hood hinge.

Add one liter of fresh/new bottle of DOT4 brake fluid to the Motive pressure bleeder. Have a 2nd liter of brake fluid handy incase needed later on.

Unscrew the brake res cap. Have some paper shop towels handy to place under the dripping brake fluid cap.

Screw on the motive euro cap. Pump up the Motive to only 10 psi! Do not go too crazy with pumping up the pressure bleeder. You can easily blow off the reservoir housing on older cars!! Ask me how I know this!! Makes for a BIG mess. So stay under 10 psi!

As you pump up the Motive, fresh brake fluid will enter and fill the brake reservoir fully.

Go to the RIGHT REAR brake caliper and find the bleed nipple/valve. Remove the dust cap. Slide on that 6mm clear tubing you bought from the pet/fish supply store. I use about 15 niches or so long piece of hose.

Now slide your 12point ring/box end wrench over the hose and onto the bleed valve. MAKE SURE the Motive is hooked up and pressurized to 10psi! OPEN the bleed valve and start to collect the old fluid with your handy container. I use an old one liter Gator-Aid bottle.

You will notice the old brake fluid start to fill your catch can/bottle. You can even see air bubbles IF you have boiled your brake fluid in the past. THIS is why you want a CLEAR 6mm I.D. hose! Continue holding the valve open until the fluid changes in color from dark brown to the new brake fluid color (clear or light tan in most cases). Or blue ATE if you are using that stuff. I prefer normal clear fluid.

Sometimes I close the bleed screw. I will go and check the Motive for pressure and to check the fluid level. Then I go back to that wheel and open the bleed screw again – just to make sure all the air and fluid is gone. And re-bleed that caliper again.

Ok, move onto the next wheel. Remember: RR, LR, RF, LF!!!

Now you are almost done!

Release the air pressure from the Motive bleeder. Be careful when you are finished bleeding the brakes, you want to de-pressure the Motive FIRST and then unscrew the adaptor cap. You can de-presurize the Motive by unscrewing (counter clockwise) the pump handle(T)… S-L-O-W-L-Y!

IF you unscrew the Motive first from the brake res, you will be pouring pressurized brake fluid all over the place! De-pressurize FIRST!

Now use your (new!) Turkey Baster to suck out some new brake fluid. You will need to make room for the res brake fluid float sensor. Just look at the cap to see what I am talking about. There is a little MAX mark on the side of the reservoir to show you what the correct fluid level should be.

Ok, that’s about all there is too it. Its quite a simple process. One thing I should say is I have never bled the brakes on my 135i. In theory it should be all the same. The only thing I can think of is the front calipers MIGHT have two bleed valves. And inner and outer one. Porsche’s Brembos are like that. I do not believe there is any order you need to do on those. Someone correct me IF I am wrong.

Here are some photos I have from doing my CDV delete. Its all the same really.

Motive pressure bleeder with euro cap adaptor…

DOT-4 German brake fluid. The GOOD stuff!

Do NOT go over 10 psi or so! You will blow off the reservoir housing from the master cylinder!!

European cap adaptor – with fresh brake fluid going in!

Always have some CRC (or the like) Brake Cleaner on hand to wash away any spilt brake fluid!

ABS valve body…

Some 11mm 12pt wrenches – the bottom tool is only needed to bleed your brakes valves.
Appreciate 2