Thread: Oil Change Fail
View Single Post
      03-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
woner
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 LMB 135i DCT

Angry Oil Change Fail

Last weekend I let my dad and brother change the oil in my car while I was at church. Everything seemed fine and and I drove the 100 miles back to Knoxville. Shortly before I arrived the low oil warning light came on. I figured it was mistaken like the last time I got a false low oil light that went away in a few minutes. Unfortunately, when I got out of the car I noticed a film of oil covering the side panels and the engine bay was soaked in oil. I noticed the o-ring in the oil filter housing was poking out from under the cap and breaking the seal.

The car ended up being 2 quarts low..I took off the underbody panels and hosed everything down as much as I could.

Is there anything else I should do or check for? I'm worried about possible damage.

How tight is the oil filter cap supposed to be? It was tightened by hand to a 1/4 past the green mark when the oil leaked out. I retightened it to 1/2 turn past the green mark but that was the limit of the oil filter wrench I used. So far no more leaks. I didn't think it was this difficult to line the green marks up which makes me question whether it is 1/2 turn too tight or 1/2 turn too loose.
Appreciate 0