View Single Post
      11-27-2007, 12:09 AM   #9
asv
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgerMitFries View Post
Something to consider on oil change intervals...

In the end, your approach to oil changes is going to depend on your personality type....

Tightwad/By The Book personality approach - These are the people who drank the kool-aid, they'll say "Oh BMW knows best and they wouldn't possibly publish anything but the ideal and absolutely correct interval, and that's what I'm gonna follow." In that case, you'll think you're doing yourself a favor by driving around on thickened oil for 15,000 miles with many suspended particles, soot, and acids that form as a result from by-products of combustion...negatively affecting fuel economy, engine wear, and costing you more in the end.

Then there's the more pragmatic approach, you know, the mechanically oriented people who understand that the oil is the lifeblood of the engine, and it just pays in many ways to keep up a more agressive service interval. Modern BMW inline sixes generally hold 7ish quarts of oil, therefore with synthetic oil, you can go 5000 miles pretty safely between oil changes. And for the price of an oil change, there's just no margin in being a tightwad.
So If I don't agree with your opinion, I must be drinking the "kool aid" and lacking mechanical inclination?

Where is the evidence that a modern BMW engine has performance or wear issues by changing the oil at the manufacturer suggested interval? Where do you get this 5000 mile number? Is this published somewhere, or are you picking 5000 because it sounds good?
Appreciate 0