View Single Post
      09-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #19
gregthegr8
Admiral of the Fleet
Rep
Drives: Cars Usually

Quote:
Originally Posted by rikMsport View Post
I just ordered Michelin PSSs yesterday. My plan is to get a compressor and plug kit to keep in the boot at all times. For longer trips I would like to get a full-sized spare as you propose, but I have the same concerns about a single sized wheel properly fitting both the front and rear axles. I think any rim that fits the front will fit on the rear, but I'm not sure about a wheel that fits the rear will clear the brakes if the IS in the front. Any thoughts?
rik - I think you'd be fine running a front size on the back, but think if you tried to put a back size on the front, it'd stick out and/or rub based on my limited knowledge and what others have said trying to fit larger rims/tires up front. Tirerack seems to list a 7.5" x 18" with a 40 or 45 offset as fitting all 4 corners of our car. But, when they install your michelins, you should have them quickly just test mount a front in the rear to make sure there are no clearance issues.

I've already bought the lined luggage mat for the trunk, a tire bag (with handles), and ordered a tire, so will be trying the setup out next weekend to see how bad it is back there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEDEI View Post
there is no need for a full size spare. the purpose of a spare is to temporarily get you back on the road......you're not trying to race Le Mans in it! lol

a full size spare will take up way too much room in the trunk. I am interested in a space saver group buy though!!

I do agree that a space saver seems expensive, however I still want to maintain some utility in the trunk
I am going to try it out and see what I think. I may only do it for long road trips, but I don't really ever have anything in the trunk, so won't be a huge loss for me and I know I can put together a full size spare for cheap. I also feel that if I had a donut in the back, I wouldn't be able to or wouldn't want to put anything on top of that (unless I bought the expensive bag), so in my mind I'd still lose that whole area of the trunk...it just wouldn't be as much of a VERTICAL loss.

In my last car though, thanks to awful LA drivers and roads, I had to replace 3 rims and 2 tires in a year and a half in a horrible streak of bad luck. I also know the 313 rims may take up to a week to get a replacement of, heaven forbid you get a damaged or bent rim. And as I found out with my last car, I really don't want to have to drive 15-20 miles on the freeway in a donut to get to the one dealer that has the rim in stock.

I hope none of us though ever have to use a donut or a full size spare.
Appreciate 0