View Single Post
      04-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #60
Pig Farmer
Major
Rep
Drives: E92M

I did the Seafoam treatment at 20k miles just before installing a BMS catch can. After the initial smoke and sputtering, the car did seem to run a bit smoother. Took about 30 miles of highway mileage for the CEL to clear itself. After the CEL cleared, i checked the codes and notice that the ECU logged a misfire on two or three cylinders. I only mention that in case you don't have the tools to clear the codes before taking it in for dealer service.

When installing the catch can I did notice oil lining the OEM tube that routes the PCV gases to the intake. While I was at it, I dropped the intercooler and noticed a small amount of oil pooled in the bottom of the core... About a teaspoon. I flushed the intercooler with diesel, then hot soapy water and let it dry before reinstalling. At 23K miles, I checked both the catch can and intercooler. The catch can was dry, but the intercooler had a few drops of oil in the bottom. I'm not positive, but I suspect some of the oil that makes its way through the system to the intake (and causes the carbon build-up) comes from oil blowing by the turbo seals. I'm not suggesting that the catch can doesn't work, I just think the PCV gases are not the only thing contributing to the carbon build-up.
Appreciate 0