09-01-2010, 09:31 AM   #18
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135gofast View Post
larry, what are you thoughts on Watkins Glen for novices? I hear it's a stupid fast course, but not nearly as technically challenging as NHMS.

Would you recommend HPDE insurance for a novice?
The Glen is a fast course. I would never advise either for or against insurance.. for obvious reasons. I've seen more people do damage at NHMS than WGI though... The difference is that WGI requires that you pay for your damage immediately.. Armco, kitty litter, etc... I think there's lots of runout at the trickier spot on the Glen than at NHMS.

I would suggest hitting up youtube for lapping videos of WGI.Another thing.. stupid, but true.... I bought a video game for my xbox 360 with WGI on it, before I drove it for real 3 years ago.. It helped.

Oh, make sure you look at the track configuration that you'll be running on. I'll be doing the full loop, but it might be configured for the Nascar setup, which cuts off a decent chunk of the circuit.

Novices should have no issues. There are technical parts, and you have to learn the braking zones, but unless you're doing the exact opposite of what your instructor is telling you to do, you're not going off the back side of a braking zone. Drive within your limits, and you're more than fine there. The passing zones for the novice run groups are huge areas.
Appreciate 0