Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E30 325is, Others....

Lets compare specs:

E36 M3 vs E82 128i
3219lbs vs 3197lbs
240hp vs 230hp
6800rpm vs 7000rpm
5MT vs 6MT

Yup, we still come to the same conclusion. 128i is almost exactly a modern production E36 M3.

Hi all.

I posted on another thread but I find this one more on topic. If some of you read both, please forgive the double post.

Like The Stig above, I'm also an E36 M3 owner. It's actually my wife's daily driver. We've recently been considering a replacement and came to the same conclusion. As a former racer myself, handling is everything. 0 - 60 time is less important to me than say, 50 to 100 to stop.

As I say, it will be my wife's daily driver. I don't race anymore and don't intend to track the car so I see no need for all that turbo power however, when she does let me drive it, I don't care to drive a slug either. She's been spoiled by the M3 and regrettably, I've ridden through more than a few incidents were she truly needed the M brakes.

So, it appears that a 128i M sport is a good candidate but what are the options to upgrade the brakes? We'd probably order the car and pick it up in Munich and would be most interested in an upgrade that can be ordered with the car as delivered.

In lieu of that, is the BMW autographed model BBK kit a worthwhile add on?

I don't care to screw around with after market items that may or may not void the warranty and no longer enjoy working on cars (I'm now into antique airplane restorations) so any mods would have to be either dealer installed or at least dealer approved.

Thanks much,
A

BTW, 135ers.....I don't want to hear it. If I wanted a 135is, I'd buy one. I don't want one. I'm asking about brakes here and IF BMW offered a 125iS with better brakes, I'd buy one of those.
'67 Lotus Elan C/P racer (FHC type 26 clone)
Many early Porsches (regrettably sold long ago when they were cheap)
Appreciate 0