View Single Post
      06-02-2010, 05:29 PM   #17
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Hi Guys,

I am glad you guys enjoyed my little photo tour of Leipzig. Let me try and answer some of your Q's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crew09 View Post
awesome tour and write-up! really wish i was in Germany to take the tour!

i wonder if they make little "made in leipzig" decals...
I doubt it. Most Germans look down on the (former) Eastern Germany. It will take many generations for this type thinking to change. I think this made in Leipzig slogan is one way to make people rethink the way they feel about the former East (Ost Deutschland, aka DDR or GDR comunist state).

This "Made in Leipzig" slogan made me think of how the Guys at Porsche were making a joke years ago with the LeMans racer GT-1 car. Many people know that Porsche's racing dept is located in Weissach. but Weissach is really in a small village called: Flacht. So the guys at the Motorsports Dept put these small logos on teh left rear tail of the race cars proudly saying: Made in Flacht!

Maybe we should start a new decall for us die hard ONE fans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LazyBmw View Post
Very nice.. and wow the employees are smiling while working on these cars.. how many of us can actually smile and be happy working.. amazing.. I wouldn't mind that job either haha..
THIS is one very important way, to see how the employee's feel at their job. That they do not stare at you and they go about their job having fun and not feeling like they are in some weird sort of zoo. IF you can see them smile and relaxed you know the product they are making is a good one.

Our tour guide even pointed out how BMW has these quiet rooms throughout the factory... IF a worker is feeling over come or ill or just needs a break... BMW has special "jumper" workers to take thier place on the work line. Really a nice thing for them to do.

In the open coperate structure up front... since the entire work space is open... they also have these sound proof, queit rooms - for workers to talk loudly and get stuff off thier minds! lol These all glass rooms had really weird looking tubes on the inside of the cieling to cancell out any yelling or loud talking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QSH17Z View Post
Brilliant write up and photos to match! I've only seen a handful of those official photos. I also noticed via Google maps (while waiting for my car to arrive) that when zooming in on the carpark they have those white cars painted on the ground at completely random intervals, just like the one you parked next to. Did they explain what that's all about?
I have no idea what those painted white car spaces were about! lol All my scences were on BMW over-load that day! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
They really pass the cars through the office section like that? Thats wicked.
Yes they do! Not only that but they even had large trees and plants all thru out the corperate offices up front. I think they do that to control the humidity and to provide a soothing, natural feeling to the workers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR3CK View Post
Zahah Hadid is the architect. Look her up!
Yes, our tour guide said she is from London but originally from Iran. She did a wonderfull job in making a bold statement in the factory design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyBananaz18 View Post
53k Euros for an X1?

YuP! Welcome to Deutschland!! IF you want to play you PAY, PAY, PAY!!!

Keep in mind this price includes Germany's 19% sales tax (VAT/MwSt).

IF you want to see how much a car costs in Germany you can build one here:

http://www.bmw.de/de/de/general/conf...figurator.html

Click on the: Direktauswahl (center left to web page)
The scroll on the cars at the bottom of the page. You can change the model type too.

FYI... The X1 comes in these models and base prices. options are EXTRA!! from cheap to top of the line...

X1 series...

X1 1.8i 27K euros 150 PS
X1 1.8d 30K euros 143 PS
X1 2.0d 35K euros 177 PS
X1 2.3d 39K euros 204 PS
X1 2.5i 38K euros 218 PS
X1 2.8i 42K euros 258 PS

And as Jeremy Clarkson wisely said a few years back... the car companies make no money on selling cars... they make all their money on selling OPTIONS!!!! :")

While I was at BMW.de website... I took a look at the one series coupe base prices. They now offer SIX e82 coupes now for 2011 production!

1-er e82 coupes

118d 28K euros 143 PS (diesel)
120d 30K euros 177 PS
123d 33K euros 204 PS

120i 26K euros 170 PS (gasoline)
125i 33K euros 218 PS (same as 128i)
135i 40K euros 306 PS

all options EXTRA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungE30 View Post
I wish I did the Leipzig tour but I remember it was German only which turned me off...NOW I REGRET IT.

I want to thank those people for making such an awesome car!

I think they offer Enlgish tours. ??? I know my tour guide spoke English really well. As most any German who is under 50 years old does. lol

There was a tour group from Romania waiting while out tour took off in the factory... I am fairly certain they would get an English tour, bc that was what they were speaking with the BMW tour rep.

One thing that was kind of cheasy was BMW charges five euro per head to run this tour. OR... 130 euros for a group of 20 or more.

Maybe we should do a 1addicts tour in the future at Leipzig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth135i View Post
Woah!!!! I went on the BMW Rosslyn Tour here in South Africa and even though it was the first international BMW factory it is the smallest now to date and this factory is way more impressive Rosslyn is purely a factory no frills... Nice pictures! Thanks
I know a lot of the spare parts that I have bought in the past for my e36 were made in South Africa. I believe alot of the 3er's sold in the western USA come from South Africa too. And all 3-er wagons for the US market come from there too.

- David -
Appreciate 0